Saturday, January 14, 2012

Oh-So-Good Cookies



Oh-So-Good Cookies became a Friday the 13th tradition one year when I was in high school when there seemed to be an abnormally high amount of Friday the 13ths. Baking cookies may not be your expected Friday the 13th tradition – but I’ve never been one for horror movies… speaking of which, will someone please explain what’s up with the hockey mask that Jason wears in the Friday the 13th movie?

This recipe comes from my friend Kelcie, as we used to bake these cookies together on Friday the 13th and then not watch a scary movie. Unfortunately I lost my original copy of the recipe that she gave me, but Google came to my rescue – apparently others out there are aware of the Oh-So-Good cookie and all its deliciousness! Oh-So-Good Cookies are a chocolate chip cookie with oats and Skor bits. As the ratio of oats is lower than in your average oatmeal cookie, I would not quite call them an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. Kelcie and I adapted the original recipe, by removing the called for nuts and raisins, and instead we added in a variety of chocolate chips (it was really whatever we found in the cupboard – white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, etc). Today, I’ve made them with semi-sweet chocolate chips and Skor bits.

I realize that today is January 14 – and it would have been more fitting to post this yesterday, but now I can successfully confirm that Friday the 13th was not an unlucky day. Did you know that a fear of Friday the 13th is called either friggatriskaidekaphobia (Friday is named after the Norse goddess Frigga while triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number thirteen) or the Greek paraskevidekatriaphobia, which comes from Paraskeví (Friday) and dekatreís (Thirteen)? Now, dear readers, you’re all set to wow your friends with these big words AND a batch of cookies on the next Friday the 13th, which happens to be only a few months off, in April… 

THE RECIPE:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2-3/4 cup Skor bits

1. Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie trays with parchment paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugars. Once well blended, beat in the egg and vanilla. 
3. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until the dry ingredients are fully blended in. 
4. Stir in oats, chocolate chips and Skor bits. 
5. Drop dough by rounded teaspoon onto cookie trays, leaving a bit of room for the cookies to spread. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are just golden brown. Makes 3 dozen cookies.


Dear readers, I am going to tell you an oh-so-important secret about baking. Skor bits are meant to be baked into oatmeal cookies. I believe this is a secret, because if you read the back of the package of a bag of Chipits Skor bits, there is a recipe for “Chipits Toffee Crunch Blondies”. Although I’m sure these are delicious, I am not quite sure why there is no recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip plus Skor bits. The combination of oatmeal and Skor is unbeatable… I’m actually not sure why anyone would ever bake oatmeal chocolate chip cookies without Skor bits. 

Adding in the Skor bits... you can never have too many!

I have to admit, dear readers, that I was quite excited to bake something other than shortbread. Don't get me wrong, shortbread toblerone are my favourite cookies - but this holiday season, after making 5 batches to share with friends and family, I was ready to bake something different. These Oh-So-Good cookies are aptly named - try them to find out for yourself - and I don't think there's any need to wait for the next Friday the 13th to bake a batch! 


Happy Eating!

Caroline

3 comments:

  1. skor bits is such a good idea! these look delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to have chickpea and tomato soup tomorrow, with these as dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you make them and send them so me? Caro-you are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete