Saturday, December 31, 2011

Chickpea and Tomato Soup



New Year’s Resolution: eat more soup. Actually, let me be more specific – eat more homemade soup.

I have mixed feelings about making New Year’s Resolutions. Yes, I believe it’s important to think of positive changes to make for the year ahead – but I don't like the idea of unrealistic resolutions. I’m not about to resolve to start training for a marathon or give up carbs or anything silly like that.

My New Year’s Resolution is very practical for me. I already eat a lot of soup – it’s one of my favourite lunch foods. I like that soup isn’t too heavy, so I'm not sleepy all afternoon after eating it. The problem with my soup habit, however, is that I don’t like high sodium salty soups – and so I often end up buying expensive soups with fresh ingredients from restaurants like Fresh or Ravi Soups. If you haven’t been to Fresh, it is a restaurant that markets itself as “Gourmet Vegetarian Dining”. Fresh offers two soup options daily, and they use a selection of deliciously interesting ingredients and flavours. My favourite soup I’ve tried is Golden Curried Lentil with Toasted Cumin and Coconut Milk, while I found the Yellow Split Pea with Tomato, Cinnamon and Fennel to be more of a miss… Every time I go to Fresh for soup and spend $3.50 on a cup, or $6 on a bowl, I always feel like I should be making this soup myself at home to save money. So, New Year’s Resolution: eat more homemade soup.

This recipe is for tomato and chickpea soup. Although it lacks some of Fresh’s more exotic ingredients (like toasted cumin or fennel), it’s very easy to make at home, and tasty too! Tomato soup was one of my favourites growing up, but even though Campbell’s tells me they’ve reduced the salt content, I can’t bring myself to eat a can of Tomato Soup very often anymore. With this soup, you add Parmesan rind while the soup simmers, and remove the rind before you blend the soup, which adds a lovely hint of cheese. The addition of pasta makes it hearty, and I like that the chickpeas give this soup protein. We originally received this recipe from the Heart and Stroke foundation – so we know it’s heart healthy too!

THE RECIPE:

2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 19 oz can of chickpeas
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 small parmesan cheese rind
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Oregano, to taste
Chili flakes, to taste
1 cup cooked orzo or other small pasta

1. In large stock pot, heat olive oil. Saute garlic until just brown. 
2. Rinse chickpeas and add to the pot. Saute with the garlic for about 30 seconds. 
3. Stir in diced tomatoes. Add cheese rind, oregano, chilli flakes and water. Simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to an hour. Although in general, the longer you simmer, the better the taste, if you are going to simmer for much longer than an hour with this recipe, I'd say add more water than the recipe calls for, or you will have a very thick soup at the end. 
4. While soup is simmering, cook pasta in a separate pot. I used orzo, but any small or smallish sized pasta will do! 
5. Once the soup has simmered, remove the parmesan cheese rind. Puree the soup until chunky in a food processer or blender. Stir in cooked pasta.
6. Serve hot, garnished with grated parmesan cheese.



Eat immediately or freeze. If you opt to freeze some of this soup, why not freeze it in individual portions - so you can defrost one at a time to take for lunch? 

I recommend serving this soup with a side of hearty French bread, or maybe even a grilled cheese sandwich – because, like I said, we’re not giving up anything crazy like carbs for the new year.


Happy 2012 Eating!

Caroline


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Got my latest issue of Canadian Living in the mail recently and it has a super tasty looking soup on the cover that I was JUST thinking about making! Also - Amen to boycotting silly no-carb diet resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed the soups in the latest Canadian Living - I'm glad this resolution will be soup-er easy to keep for 2012!

    ReplyDelete